The Institutes of the Order have been functioning for more than half a century and they have as their objective the investigation and dissemination of the thought of St. Augustine and of the charismatic value of the Augustinian Recollection both within and outside of the Order. At present there are two institutes, namely, the Institute of Spirituality and Augustinian Recollect History and the Institute of Augustinology.
Institute of Spirituality and Augustinian Recollect History
The Institutes have been in function for more than half a century. The oldest is the Historical Institute of the Order which was created in 1956 by the Prior General at the time, Fr. Eugenio Ayape. A few years later, in 1966, Fr. Ángel Almárcegui, founded the Augustinian Recollect Institute of Spirituality. The goals of both institutes were both very similar. Both were dedicated to investigate and disseminate, within and outside of the Order, the charismatic values of the Augustinian Recollection.
Beginning in 1978, both institutes employed the same vehicle of communication, the journal Recollectio. The General Chapter of 2004 approved the merger of both institutes. This was achieved in 2006 under the title, Institute of Spirituality and Augustinian Recollect History. The journal, Recollectio, which is published annually, would serve as the channel of communication for the new entity. The membership is made up of an appropriate number vocals and collaborators and the seat of the Institute is General Curia in Rome.
The goals of the Institute are:
– Investigate whatever pertains to the history of the Augustinian Recollect family
– Promote among the religious, especially in the houses of formation, an interest in the investigation of the history and spiritual tradition of the Order
– Disseminate the results of these investigations through publications, participation in congresses, conferences, courses, and other appropriate media.
Institute of Augustinology
In1954, Fr. Eugenio Ayape created the institution, Revista AUGUSTINUS, as the fruit of the XVI Centenary of the Birth of St. Augustine. The journal was launched in 1956 and, since that date, has consistently promoted the study and diffusion of the thought of St. Augustine. The General Chapter of 1968 gave to this institute the name of Instituto AUGUSTINUS with the following functions:
a) Prepare and form a group of specialists in Augustinian studies
b) Consider the journal, AUGUSTINUS, to be its channel of communication
c) Function as the center for the diffusion and investigation of Augustinian thought.
Since October of 1994, the Institute AUGUSTINUS adopted the title, Institute of Augustinology whose specific purpose is investigation and diffusion of the thought of St. Augustine.
Se pueden concretar en:
– Investigation and diffusion of the thought of St. Augustine by means of the publication of AUGUSTINUS; the publication has become a world-wide point of reference and has achieved prestige as a publication of solid scientific value
– Promote Augustinian studies and investigation in such studies by religious of the Order; more than 30 have published in the journal.
– Collaboration in the publication of the complete works of St. Augustine in the BAC series, re-edition of depleted numbers, and preparation of new editions
– Participation of members of the Institute in conferences, courses of study and Augustinian spiritual exercises for the different branches of the Order.