The institutes are organs of the Order created for specific purposes. At present, there are two, the Institute of Augustinology and the Institute of Spirituality and History of the Order.
The Procurator General is responsible for handling matters which require the intervention of the Holy See. Other posts of the government of the Order are the Secretary General, the financial officer, the Postulator of causes of canonization, the chronicler, and the archivist.
The provinces are juridical entities of the Order and are formed by a certain number of houses and a sufficient number of religious as well as sufficient resources to carry out a mission of service to the Church.
In the following schema, it is possible to see the internal organization of the Order of Augustinian Recollects.
Please click the image to view the enlarge image.
ORGANS OF ADMINISTRATION
The Secretariats are organs of administration by means of which the general government realizes its function of service to the Order and of assistance for living the Order charism and spirituality. At the present time, there are 4 secretariats: General Secretariat of Spirituality, the General Secretariat of Vocations and Initial Formation, the General Secretariat of the Apostolate of Education and Youth ministry, and the General Secretariat of Apostolate of Ministry and Missions.
General Secretariat of Spirituality
The General Secretariat of Spirituality is one of the organisms of an administrative character. By means of this Secretariat the general government fulfills its function of service to the Order in the area of spiritual life and fidelity to the charism.
The goal of this Secretariat is the promotion of the values essential to the religious life of the Order.
Among the functions proper to this Secretariat are the following:
- Encourage collaboration among the provincial secretariats of spirituality.
- Organize courses of renewal within the Order.
- Promote the Augustinian Recollect Lay Fraternity offering assistance particularly in the area of formation.
- Program meeting and activities for the study of the Constitutions and the charism of the Order.
General Secretariat of Vocations and Initial Formation
The Secretariat of Vocations and Initial Formation is one of the organisms of an administrative character through which the general government realizes its function of service to the Order.
This Secretariat has the mission of monitoring and orienting the pastoral approach to vocations in the diverse provinces of the Order in accordance with the charism of the Order. It is also responsible for evaluating the fulfillment of the directives regarding initial formation which are required by the laws of the Order.
It is also responsible for promoting those initiatives which it deems would be convenient for the success of the vocational and formation mission of the provinces.
General Secretariat of Ministry and Mission
The General Secretariat of Ministry and Mission is an organism of administrative character which achieves its goals within the limits and norms established by the Prior General with the consent of his Council.
Within these parameters, the Secretariat is to offer collaboration and service for the encouragement of a solid pastoral approach both in the ministries and the missions.
The following are some of this purposes:
- Suggest and assist with initiatives so that the Augustinian Recollect charism is manifest in our apostolic labors
- Inspire among our religious enthusiasm for the missionary spirit of the Order
- Promote a pastoral capacity for the challenges of the present in cooperation with the Secretariats of Formation and Spirituality
- Provide information concerning the apostolic experiences of the Order and update the religious concerning centers of formation for the apostolate
- Advise the Prior General and his Council with regards to the revision and application of the Augustinian Recollect Statutes of the Missions.
The General Secretariat of the Education Apostolate and Youth Ministry
The General Secretariat of the Education Apostolate and Youth Ministry is an administrative organism which operates within the norms and guidelines provided by the Prior General with the consent of his Council. Within these guidelines, the Secretariat offers collaboration and service to the pastoral endeavors in the area of education and in the development of Augustinian Recollect youth ministry or JAR.
Among the objectives are the following:
- Suggest and support initiatives in the field of education and encourage the development of a ministry to the youth inspired by the charism of the Order
- Collect updated information relative to the situation in each of the provinces and to properly record the same
- See to it that there is an adequate archive of materials gathered concerning programs and projects, thus, providing for continuity and stability in these areas
- Promote professional formation and specialization for all of those engaged in the education apostolate
- Provide information concerning professional gatherings, congresses and publications which might provide material of interest to those engaged in both of these ministries
- Promote knowledge and interchange of materials elaborated in any one of the provinces which can be beneficial to all
- Collaborate with the other secretariats of the Order both in the presentation of various incentives and in the practical application of the same
- Maintain a close relationship to the respective provincial secretariats of education and youth ministry through their designated representative
- Encourage, support, and provide the means by which the youth groups of the Order (JAR) organize and become established in all of the pastoral centers, especially, which such groups do not yet exist.