Under the motto “Called to be saints”, because this year coincides with several events that recall the holiness of the brothers and sisters, Augustinian Recollects, this initiative of dedicating a year to sanctity can promote the revitalization of the Order and “help To discover the Augustinian Recollect charism as a sure and sure way to be saints “, emphasizes Fr. Miguel Miró, prior general.
The principal anniversaries which can be highlighted are as follows:
• 150 years since the beatification of Francisco de Jesús and Vicente de San Antonio, together with three religious brothers, their Japanese catechists, all of them martyrs of Japan.
• 75 years since the death of the Servant of God, Bishop Ignacio Martínez, apostolic administrator of Labrea.
• 50 years since the death of Blessed Maria de San José, foundress of the Augustinian Recollect Sisters of the Heart of Jesus.
• 30 years since the canonization of St Magdalene of Nagasaki, the Augustinian Recollect tertiary.
• 25 years since the canonization of St Ezequiel Moreno, Bishop of Pasto.
• In addition, during 2017 the “positio” of the Servant of God Fr Jenaro Fernández Echeverría will be presented to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints. We also hope that during the year the commission of theologians appointed by the Congregation will approve the heroic virtues of Mother Mariana de San José, foundress of the Augustinian Recollect nuns.
The Prior General adds that “this invitation is first of all a call to perseverance on the path of holiness in the midst of
the material and spiritual difficulties of daily life”, and emphasizes that the fraternal life of each community is
a schoolroom for whoever truly wants to be holy, since it is there that he has to commit himself and journey with the brothers whom the Lord has put at his side”.
In this letter, he explores holiness in different areas or aspects of the life of the Order: “Called to holiness”, as any Christian, in the “daily life” of every religious of the Order and “holiness in formation and in the pastoral work”.
Material of the Year of Holiness to download
- Opening Vigil
- Upcoming dates
- Roll Up
- Guides of celebration of the Sundays of Easter
- Solemnity of Pentecost
- Most Holy Trinity
- Saint Augustine 2017
We highlight the following significant dates for this Year of Holiness:
- Sunday 5th March, first Sunday of Lent: Opening of the Year of Holiness in all the communities and ministries of the Order.
- Monday 20th March: St Joseph, protector of the Order.
- Sunday 7th May, IV Sunday of Easter: World day of prayer for vocations.
- Monday 22nd May: St Rita of Cascia.
- Sunday 4th June: Solemnity of Pentecost.
- Sunday 11th June: Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity.
- Thursday 17th August: St Clare of the Cross of Montefalco.
- Saturday 19th August: St Ezequiel Moreno. 25th anniversary of his canonization.
- Sunday 27th August: St Monica.
- Monday 28th August: St Augustine.
- Monday 4th September: Our Lady, Mother of Consolation.
- Sunday 10th September: St Nicholas of Tolentino.17
- Thursday 28th September: Blessed martyrs of Japan: 150th anniversary ofbeatification.
- Tuesday 10th October: St Thomas of Villanova.
- Friday 20th October: St Magdalene of Nagasaki. 30th anniversary of canonization.
- Sunday 12th November: All the Saints of the Order. Closure of the Year of Holiness.
Prayer for the Year of Holiness
Father who art Holy,
all our hope rests in your great mercy.
We give you thanks and we bless your name.
May your Spirit
open our hearts to conversion;
a conversion that unites us to Jesus,
that transforms our ways of thinking and living.
Grant us the grace of being creators of communion,
that we may be transmitters of your peace in your Church and in the world.
Make us responsive to the needs of those who live without faith;
may we be close to those who suffer and to the poor.
Give us humility and openness to follow Jesus.
May he fill our life with hope,
may he fill us with love for you.
Father, instil in us your Spirit
so that we respond with joy to your call to holiness. Amen.